Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Summer Mangoes

 I ran shouting -"wait for me! wait for me!"

Disappearing feet were all I could see.

Feeling the pebbles under my naked feet,

sweating, rushing in the sultry summer heat.


Panting I looked around. No one.

"Anna! Seetu! Anyone?" My heart sinking hoping for someone.

I would not cry, I am big now.

No. No! Amma will hit me, I have to hold my tears somehow.


I walked and walked to the lonely mango tree.

In my moment of privacy, I let my tears free.

Under the shade, a line of ants.

Up in the tree the sun enchants.


Thru my burning eyes, I see them bursting with life.

Green, a tint of yellow. Five for me, for them five.

Mouth is watering, Oh!  The joy!

They left me, so now, only I will enjoy.


The green one.. bitter skin, but the electrifying sourness!

Oh! I look back at that mango tree with a mischievous fondness.

No comments:

Post a Comment